Sunday, February 10, 2008

Week 2

After learning my downfalls during my first day and a 1/2 I realize I need to do more studying, I need to brush up on a few things, and I need to work on my confidence level. My preceptor asks me questions and I find myself answering his questions with another question because I lack the confidence in my answer. This I find to be object number 1, I will be more confident. If I truly don't know the answer I will fess up, if I know the answer I will say it confidently and If I am wrong I will face it and change it! I walked into work early Wed with the goal of being more confident, we go through night and do a few routine ALS calls, nothing extraordinary, however I feel more comfortable, I am able to let loose with my preceptor and partner to an extent to where we can have fun, but while still taking on the task of serious learning. The night turns out a few ALS calls, the most nerve wracking was the response to a Pediatric Seizure, everyone hates Pediatric calls, luckily tonight I walk into the house to find a small child awake in moms arms, acting appropriately, routine ALS to CCMC, a laid back report to the RN, He's had a febrile seizure, simple enough right, at least thats what we all though tonight. We jump a call at the end of the night before the end of our shift in Wethersfield, a good Altered Mental Status call where it wasn't until our arrival at the hospital in which we noticed our Pt was incontinent that the pieces finally fell together, definitely a good call that made me chase down so many differential diagnoses. Time to go home for some rest, I left work feeling more comfortable and confident.

No comments: