Friday, February 22, 2008

Getting Back To Precepting

Friday night was suppose to be my first night back precepting at work. I'm so nervous again I can't sleep. I can't figure out why I'm so nervous, I know what to expect, I've been there, I've done it for 4 nights now and quite frankly it can't get any worse then it did already. The hours inch closer and closer, and now its the time I should be getting myself in the shower to get ready, but I can't, I can't physically move, I'm panicky and find myself on the verge of having an anxiety attack. I think to myself that I'm losing it, I need to get a hold of myself, this isn't who I am. I call one of my supervisors personal cells, he's been very supportive with everything thats been going on, and a person who I know is a phone call away, he gets my the number to our EAP, tells me to call the ASAP and get back to him and let him know what happens. Well after getting the initial run around with EAP they set me up with a counselor in the area, shes contacts me by phone and we have a 15 minute conversation, she reassures me that what I'm going through is normal following a stressful incident, its my bodies way of telling me I might not be ready to face stress again, she suggests taking the night off and just relaxing, focusing myself and mentally preparing myself to go back to work. She says shes out of the office and she'll get back to me tomorrow with an appointment to come in and talk to her. I call out that night, part of my responsibilities of a preceptee is I'm suppose to call and let me preceptor know I won't be in, but I'm too embarrassed too, I just call my supervisor and tell him and leave it at that for now. Later that night I get a text message from my preceptor asking how I'm doing, and again offers his support telling me to call him anytime, anytime I need it he's willing to go grab a drink, I appreciate his support I really do, but this is something I need to do on my own...

No comments: