Friday, February 22, 2008

Race Day!

Sunday was an exciting day, I was awoken by my girlfriend around 2pm, and I was eager to get out of bed, because yes folks ITS RACE DAY! I had never been a true NASCAR "fan" until the past few years, I dated a girl who's family was very into NASCAR, so into it that they watch every Sunday, and usually attend 2 races a year. Now I was never into it that much prior, I'd watch highlights to see a crash, or if I was home bored would flip it on to watch a lil bit of it. I was fortunate enough to attend my first NASCAR race with her family, all be it a boring race it was a race none the less. The experience of the entire weekend really opened my eyes up to the sport and yes I said SPORT. Camping out for the weekend, just having a good time, and then the thrill of the cars rushing past you, the sounds, the smells overwhelmed me and turned me into a fan. I've since only been to one other race, but I plan to attend and even work EMS at a few races this season. So with that tangent done, today is Race Day, the first of the season and perhaps one of the biggest races of the year the 50th running of the Daytona 500. We grab some wings from a local restaurant and sit down on the couch and fire up the race on HD, turns out the girlfriend is also a race fan, we enjoy a nice relaxing day watching the race and call it an early night. I wake up Monday morning, and just my luck I'm sick, I feel like I got hit by a mack truck, my body aches, my joints are stiff, my nose is congested and I just feel generally like crap. What follows is days of misery, each day worse then the previous. I call the doctors office, knowing what they'll say but just so I can get the note for work, sure enough the doctor talks to me and tells me I have the flu, tells me to rest up and take the next two nights off from work. So now 4 weeks into precepting, I've only actually precepted 5 nights, I am not off to a good start.

No comments: